After weeks of procrastinating over when to start making this pineapple cushion for the lil man, I found this vintage apple toy which made me pull the finger out &
make scramble for time to make a friend, Peta the pineapple. Looking at them on the couch they remind me of the fruit scratch & smell stickers I had at school. Anyone remember them???
- Yellow mustard coloured fabric (I used corduroy but everything sticks to it)
- Green fabric (I cut up an old outdated jumper)
- Google eyes
- Sewing machine
- Red fabric (Optional if you want to do a mouth)
- Scissors & pins
- Craft glue
1. First I cut the base of the pineapple (you need 2 of these). Followed by cutting out 2 of the top of the pineapple in green. I drew the shape of the fabric first to see if the spikey bit looked right before I cut it.
2. I sewed the grooves of the pineapple by zig-zagging lines of wool onto the yellow fabric on a diagonal angle (what a job I kid you not). Its always better to measure out extra wool then cut off the extra after then run out & have to unpick the line & start again.
3. Sew the base of the green spike to the top of the pineapple (the right sides facing eachother). If your scared of fraying like me I zigzagged stitched on the inner seam.
4. For the face, I glued the eyes on with craft glue
5. Using the red fabric (I cut up an old shirt, Im such a cheap crafter hee hee) I cut out a mouth shape then pinned & zigzagged stitched onto the pineapple.
6. Place the 2 right sides together & sew along the edge leaving a 15cms gap at the base (for the stuffing). I zigzagged stitched the inner seams. Stuffed Peta the pineapple & handstitched the base closed.
A cushion the whole family loves! The lil man is fond of kissing (biting) Peta the pineapple. And I may of photobombed him into the photo when partner Mr L fell asleep on the couch… ha ha