I made these spiderman cupcakes for my 1 year old son’s first birthday. Originally I was going to have a spiderman cake but there wasnt a large enough sponge cake slab at the supermarket so I made cupcakes instead.
- Cupcakes (I used a packet mix)
- Licorice (in rolls)
- Red food colouring
- Coloured patty cake bases
2. Once cooled. I made up some icing. Being a novice icing maker I had to keep changing icing sugar to butter to milk quantitys as it kept turning sloppy. (If anyone has a fail safe icing recipe please share in the comments). I added red colouring to the icing & gave it a great stir.
3. I had to work at a quick pace before the icing set. (Recruit any happy helpers to make them). I cut up lots of strips of licorice.
4. From top to bottom rows of cupcakes as per photo above;I put 3 strips down the middle so that they meeted at the centre bottom. Then I added tiny licorice pieces to form the side of the webs (as I used licorice rolls it formed the curve of the web nicely. Final touch is the eyes cut up into a oblong triangle (I glued these on with icing).
Peter Parker’s uncle famously quoted “with great power comes great responsibility”. Luckily for this normal human being devoid of any superpowers the only responsibilty I had was eaten any leftover spiderman cupcakes. (Sidenote if I got to choose any superpower I would probably choose to fly or relieve babies of teething pain it’s a close call. What would you choose?)