I thought I would put a new twist on an old favourite; the fruit platter. Now I made this one up to resemble Hedwig the owl from Harry Potter. Yes I know that Hedwig is white while this fruit owl is all the colours of the rainbow but Im not sure how tasty a fruit owl dusted in icing sugar would taste. This Hedwig fruit platter was for a Harry Potter movie night.
Here’s how to make your own
- pineapple (body)
- lemon (a piece for the beak)
- grapes (eyes)
- extra fruit to snack on
- wooden skewers & toothpicks
1.Cut a quarter off the top of the pineapple
2. Cut the quarter pineapple piece into 2 (straight in half). This will form the wings. Then cut a bamboo skewer into 2 & stake each wing into each side of the pineapple (which is turned upside down on a flat surface).
3. Skewer the grapefruit into the top of the pineapple to form the head.
4. Next take a grape & cut down the centre. Then toothpick these eyes onto the face
Hmmm Hedwig is looking more porcupine at the moment…
5.For the beak, cut a piece of the lemon. Stick a toothpick into the grapefruit then slip the lemon beak onto it.
6. Trim all the sticks poking out of Hedwig. (I added a piece of lettuce for the feather head). Cut all fruit for decoration & scatter around Hedwig.
These fruit animals are by the talented staff of Novotel Benoa, Bali.
Healthy eating never looked so good, time to stock up on the fruit & get creative!