Im getting super excited as my little man’s first birthday is just around the corner. The mum’s in my mother’s group are celebrating a joint birthday party so we dont clash over dates of birthday parties & I volunteered to make the party hats. Ok I actually volunteered to buy the party hats but I couldnt find any to match the yellow, pink & blue theme. Everything seemed to be categorized by fairies & pirates & animal. I never need an excuse to get out my glue gun & I just needed a few more things to make these party hats.
- Glue gun & glue sticks
- Scissors, crimpy scissors (not sure what their actual name is-sorry) & scalpel (& a cutting board to lean on)
- Pretty cardboard
- Sequins & items to decorate
- Pencil & ruler
- Shirring elastic & electrical tape(or any strong tape)
- Shape templates & a 20cm round plate
1. I used a 20cm round plastic plate & measured 16cms down then placed it down on a piece of cardboard & outlined it. I added an extra 1cm on each side for a bit more room around the head. Cut out the half circle
2.Next mark 10cms down running vertical from the 5cms mark. At this 10cm mark add an extra 2 cms in (so that the mark is 7cms from the side). Draw a line to connect the 2 points
3.Fold the circle in half then mark the centre. This centre will form the point of the hat. Draw a line either side of the point to connect to the 7cm marks. Cut the 2 triangle shapes out.
4. For the band, mark down 1 cm at the corner facing the centre & draw a line tapering from the outer corner to it. (It should be on an angle). Repeat other side. Trim.
5. Outline the flake shape template on the coloured cardboard. If you have time & patience the shapes look better cut out using the scalpel (dont forget to lean on a cutting board so you dont ruin your bench!). I cut the straight edges with the scissors then used the crimpy scissors for the edges to make it a bit more quirky. Next cut the stars out.
6. Place the glue stick into your glue gun & heat up. Patch test on scrap cardboard before you start glueing. Glue the star onto the flake shape & glue the sequin onto the star. (note:glue guns dry very quick). Glue the flake onto the centre of the hat. Glue the 2 back tabs together to make the cone.
7. Measure out 35cms of elastic & cut. About 2cms down tie 3 knots ontop of eachother at each end (this is to secure the electrical tape inplace). At the sides of the hat (on the inside) stickytape the elastic into place.
…b.e.a.u.t.i.f.u.l DIY party hats any toddler will be happy to wear